Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Road to Happiness




This is the first speech that I listened from the beginning to the end without missing any words. It is just wonderful
Happiness=Enjoyment
We were made to be happy.
As a Christian, we should know that happiness is a natural product of Christianity. God wants us to be happy in him.
The speaker talked about the relationship between happiness and fluency. To be happy is to make you life fluently. People are happy when they feel everything is going on fluently in their life.
If you are always worried about something, you are not fluent in your life. When you are fluent, you are neither self-centered (too confident) or self-conscious (less confident). If you really enjoy the life, you will loss yourself instead of think about “self”.
Little children are always happy because they often wonder around. They ask a lot of questions that you never think about. Why is the sky blue? Why is the lavender purple? Always ask questions will make people happy since they will have the hope to get an answer.
People feel happy when their skills meet their personal desire. In other words, when you are working on something, you are actually enjoying your work. You work “fluently”, so that you are happy.
However, it is impossible to not suffer any sadness in one’s life. When the speaker talked about this issue, she explained it as that sadness is the stairs which assist us to move on to an upper level of happiness. When we are encountering difficulties, we challenge ourselves to solve the problems. When problems are resolved, we are happy again. The quality of happiness we possessed is much better than the last time we got it.
There are two things that can cause unhappiness. They are “a sense of order” and “set up too many rules”. We always like to arrange our life in an order. We follow our daily routines. If we don’t finish our homework on time or we get up late in the morning and miss breakfast. We become upset; we feel a sense of disorder. Then, we feel like that life was chaotic. Also, when we are setting up so many rules for ourselves, we are more likely to break them than those people who set up fewer rules. And when we broke our rules, we felt disappointed about ourselves. Neither of the two situations will lead us to happiness.
So how can we obtain happiness? As the speaker said, happiness is equal to consideration of present. Why should we worry about past? It has become history. Why should we worry about future? For it is not coming yet. All we can do at this moment is to cease the present.
Like what I wrote in my last essay, I was always worried about my future. It made me depressed and felt disordered. But after this speech, I think I realized my weakness, I always want to finish the present work, and then start my “real life”. But I never thought about that I am having the real life right now. Right at this moment, right at this college.
Last night, I prayed for God. I hope I can be settled back to peace again. I asked God to tell me why I was depressed yesterday. And, he just answered me today. I didn’t know we have to listen to this speech today. He talked to me thorough the mouth of the speaker. So what should I worry about, God is always giving me the answer. All I can do right now, is to keep praying and honor him, and BE HAPPY as God made us to.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Linda,

    Yes, I enjoyed the speaker too! She reminded me of the verse in Ecclesiastes 3:11 that says “He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end”.
    He has made everything beautiful!
    Everything beautiful in its own time!
    Even though He has set us in Eternity;
    That’s why we worry:
    We are made for eternity and want to finish our eternal duties in one eternal day!
    We forget that it is ‘only in the present that we meet the Eternal God’ because only at that point it is that He can meet us…
    Only the now touches Eternity by its ‘time’ value.
    God is always in the ‘NOW’…
    Only for us there is past and future!
    My heart rejoiced when I read your “But I never thought about that I am having the real life right now. Right at this moment, right at this college.” Yes. Your life is RIGHT NOW! Take it dear Linda: with all your might, and live it to the fullest for your Creator! And afterwards, live with Him forever, where you will have all the time in the world to finish all your projects!
    God Bless,

    Adriana & Paulo

    ReplyDelete